Do you know how our appointment booking system works?
- We have tried several different systems over the years - some with quite catastrophic consequences!
- The current system seems to be the most flexible
- Many consultations can be dealt with over the telephone
- Doctors have various other jobs to do as well as seeing patients in surgery, for example home visits, referral letters, repeat prescriptions, summarizing new patient records, reading all incoming letters etc.
- We will never have enough appointments - demand will always outstrip supply - we aim to do the best we can with the resources we have
How Appointments are made up:
- Approximately 50% of all appointments are pre-bookable up to 6 weeks in advance
- Approximately 50% are saved to 'book on the day' where problems cannot be pre-booked
- Telephone appointments are available most days with doctors and nurse practitioners
- There is an 'Emergency Doctor' allocated each day (with support from a nurse practitioner) these are for problems that are new or acute. These conditions are triaged (prioritised) and either given advice over the telephone or given an appointment that day if the patient needs to be seen. The emergency doctor will also do any urgent visits
- The phone lines are very busy at 8.30 in the morning - unless you are trying to book an 'on the day' appointment try ringing a little later
- Register for online access then you can book appointments 24 hours a day (you can order repeat prescriptions this way too)
- If you are housebound and need a visit - please ring before 10.30 so that visits can be allocated to visiting doctors
- Make sure we have your current mobile telephone number - we will text an automated reminder of your appointment and if it is no longer needed, you can text back to cancel it
We want to make our appointment booking system as flexible and user friendly for our patients as possible. Therefore we have put together a series of information leaflets to communicate to our patients how our appointment booking system works; how you can make an appointment, cancel an appointment, request a repeat prescription, register for online booking, and register for our free text message appointment reminder service.
Please download the attached leaflets for your information, or have a look at them on our Communication Station notice boards in the main surgery waiting room.
Do you know how our appt booking system works?
How do I book an appointment?
How do I register for patient access?
Register for mjog text message appointment reminder service
How do I cancel an appointment?